Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Creativity and the Busy Life

Creativity and the Busy Life

Where do I find time to be creative with all the other things that have to be done?

With a small child, husband, work and household to care for, I often find I have no time to create jewelry. At the end of the day, after work, making dinner, giving my daughter a bath, brushing her teeth and reading a bed-time story; all I really want to do is lie down on the couch and zone-out.

But I have found a way! After reading some of my favorite author's blogs and journals (Neil Gaiman and Roald Dahl),

I realized that time must be set aside specifically to nurture the creative process. Both these authors talked about finding the best time of day and keeping it sacred! During that time, their families and friends knew not to disturb them. So following these examples, I now have my 'creative time' first thing in the morning. I am able to get up about an half hour earlier than my husband and daughter and I have the kitchen table to myself! With a cup of coffee (ah! the elixir of life!) I spend some time journaling and sketching whatever pops into my head. I allow myself toremember last night's dreams, last year's vacation, that interesting article about fish life cycles, and so on ...

After a week (yes, only one week!), I have found so many ideas popping out that I am ready to design a line for next Spring! Flowers seem to be occupying my dream time so taking that cue I have made this necklace.

- Emily Silver Rose

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, It's Tracy from myspace. Your blog is great. Lots of things I've never thought to right about on my own blog.